This Page gives an overview of UNISON and what the Union does.
UNISON is one of the UK’s largest trade unions, serving more than 1.3 million members.
We represent full-time and part-time staff who provide public services, although they may be employed in both the public and private sectors. Our members work in local government, health care, colleges and schools, the police service and the voluntary sector as well as in transport, the electricity, gas and water industries.
Find out more about the benefits of being a member
We support our members by helping them to improve their working conditions in a number of ways.
- We help and advise individual members who are facing difficulties at work.
- We help our members to group together to campaign for improved working conditions.
- We represent our members in negotiation with employers.
- We make sure our members get equal treatment and fair pay.
- We offer a wide range of benefits to our members, from free legal and welfare advice to offering big savings on services such as home insurance.